Set up a quiz using Respondus Monitor | Digital Learning Office
To use Respondus Monitor (the webcam feature of LockDown Browser), additional settings are required in the LockDown Browser settings.
Step 1: Follow the instructions to set up a quiz using LockDown Browser.
2nd step: To select Require Respondus Monitor for this exam below Surveillance section to require all students to use a webcam during the exam.
Step 3: Below Boot sequence, select the events you want to include. the Boot sequence is the set of optional events that occur before a Monitor webcam session begins (see Option Descriptions below). You are able to Insight all events to see what students’ experiences are during the sequence, and some events allow you to customize the text students see (using Edit text). Review the descriptions for each event and decide which options you want to include in the boot sequence.
Step 4: Click on Save + Close after making the selection. The phrase “Requires Respondus LockDown Browser + Webcam” will automatically be added to the quiz title.
The boot sequence event descriptions are below.
- Webcam check will allow students to verify that their webcam is plugged in and working properly before starting the exam.
- additional instructions is information provided to students before they begin the test. The default language included here is: “During this exam, you should not access any other resources (a phone, tablet, notes, books, etc.) or communicate with other people. Please Stay in your seat and focus on the computer screen until the exam is over. If an interruption occurs, briefly explain what happened by speaking directly to your webcam. And, finally , remember that you cannot exit the exam until all questions are completed and submitted for assessment.” You can edit the supplemental instructions to include your own information, including information about permitted materials such as calculators or e-books To change the default language, click Edit text.
- Guidelines + Tips are a series of notifications that can be displayed before students start the exam to ensure they have a successful testing experience. You can view the guidelines and tips by clicking Preview; you do not have the ability to edit these notifications.
- Student photo will prompt students to use their webcam to take their picture, which can be used to ensure that the student starting the exam is the one finishing the exam.
- Show ID will ask the student to show their university or state-issued identification card. Note that exams using Respondus Monitor to satisfy the identity verification requirement must enable this setting.
- Environment check will ask students to use the webcam to show their test environment. This will allow the instructor to ensure that there is no unauthorized equipment or other people near the student testing.
The default wording included is:
Make sure the area around your computer is free of papers, books, phones, etc. Click “Start Recording” and tilt/tilt your webcam slowly so that a brief video can be made of the area around your computer. (If the webcam is built into the monitor, do your best to show the surrounding area.) Click “Stop Recording” when you’re done. You can edit this wording to include additional details or requirements (for example, “show your authorized correspondence card in front of the camera, showing both sides”).
- Face Detection Verification will use the student’s webcam to detect their face on the screen. Students will be advised that their faces must be well positioned and clearly visible throughout the duration of the exam.
Face detection options
You can determine whether or not students will be able to start the exam if they do not pass the facial detection test; it is recommended to select this setting to ensure that you can see the student completing the exam.
You can also choose to warn students during the exam if their faces can no longer be detected and prompt for a fix. This will also ensure that you can see the student taking the exam throughout the testing session.
- Allow this examination to also be carried out in a supervised laboratory. This option should be selected if you have students who will take their exam at the University Testing Center. Note: Students taking the exam in a proctored lab will not need to use Respondus Monitor, but they will still need to use LockDown Browser. An access code must be used with the exam (see LockDown browser password settings above) and you will need to provide the access code to the invigilator.
- Allow another application to use the microphone during this scan. Respondus Monitor uses the device’s microphone to record ambient sound during the test experience. If your test requires students to use the microphone to answer exam questions (for example, to demonstrate their speaking skills on a Spanish test), you will need to enable this setting. Please see the following Respondus support guide for more information: How do I use a microphone with a second app?
- Enter a demo student username for the instructor to use. This setting allows the instructor to enter the test using Respondus Monitor as a demo student. Please see the following Respondus support guide for more information: Can instructors use a demo student account with Respondus Monitor?